Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Hemp and blueberries


My husband and I spent last week with good friends in the northern Ontario woods near Muskoka. We listened to the loons' mournful cry and read and chatted lots. On our way up there we stopped at Hempola Hemp Farm near Barrie, Ontario. We bought some hemp oil, hemp germ, hemp seeds and a couple of shirts. Hemp provides products similar to those that flax provides: oil, seed and fiber. There are other uses of hemp that are known especially to the hippies of the 60's and 70's. These hemp products don't seem to have any of those qualities. I assume that there are different varieties. The oil has a wonderful nutty flavor and is great in salad dressing. I have been told that it is also great for sauteeing.
On our way back down from the north woods to the southern shore of Canada we were able to purchase baskets of wild blueberries which we froze for later use. We also bought corn for our dinner. I cooked 12 ears for the 2 of us. We each ate 2 and I cut the kernels off the other ears and froze them for the flavor of fresh corn next winter. I am sure I will use it to make chicken corn chowders, one of our favorites.







The Hempola Hemp Farm Shop
http://www.hempola.com/

No comments: